Adarna House, Lucky Chinatown, and Pandayan Bookshop are proud to invite high schools to the very first Patinikan sa Panitikan: A Quiz Bee on Filipino Literature. With the goal of encouraging high school students to discover and get inspired by locally-written works, this competition challenges high schools to showcase their love of Philippine literature through a test of general knowledge on Filipino authors, literary history and tradition, and select classic and modern texts.
This quiz bee is also supported by Hapee Toothpaste, Papemelroti, and Oishi—the best Philippine brands to prove that there is much to be proud of in our heritage.
- The quiz bee is open to private and public high schools in Metro Manila and Region 4-A. (Schools in other areas in Luzon may also be included, depending on transportation requirements.)
- The quiz bee questions will revolve around general knowledge on Filipino authors, literary history and traditions, and select classic and modern texts.
- To register for the quiz bee, schools must fill out and submit the registration form and have a minimum of twenty (20) participating students from Grade 7 to 10.
- Adarna House will conduct an elimination round in the school, where the top two participants will be named as the school representatives to the interschool semi-finals.
- Registrations for the quiz bee will close once the registry reaches 70 schools.
- In the semi-finals, two representatives from each participating school will compete as a team of two against the other two-member school teams.
- Five (5) school teams with the most number of points from the semi-finals round will then compete in the grand finals, where one school team will be declared as the Grand Winner.
- At least one Adarna House-appointed judge will be present at each round and decisions from the judge/s will be final.
- Relatives of employees of Adarna House, Adarna Group Foundation, The Raya School, Megaworld, and Pandayan Bookshop up to the second degree of consanguinity may not participate in the quiz bee.
Quiz Bee Mechanics
- Elimination Round
In their school, participants will be given a written quiz. Correct answers are given a certain number of points, according to the level of difficulty assigned to the question. The two participants with the most number of points will represent the school as a two-member team in the semi-finals.
- Semi-Finals Round
Each team will write an answer to a given question. Correct answers are given a certain number of points, according to the level of difficulty assigned to the question. The five school team with the most number of points will move on to the grand finals.
- Final Round
For the opportunity to answer a given question, a team will have to buzz first among the five finalists. Correct answers are given a certain number of points, according to the level of difficulty assigned to the question. When an incorrect answer is provided, the other team will NOT be given a chance to steal the point. The school with the most number of points will be named the Grand Winner. Ties will be settled via sudden death.
Prizes (over PHP100,000 in prizes up for grabs)
- Semi-finalists (up to 140 students) : certificate and items from organizer & sponsors
- Finalists (10 students) : medal and items from organizer & sponsors
- Grand winners:
– 2 students: plaque, cash, and items from organizer & sponsors
– 1 winning school: trophy and items from organizer & sponsors
Semi-Finals and Grand Finals
- Schedule: 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM, 1 March 2018 (Thursday)
- Venue: Activity Center, Lucky Chinatown, Reina Regente St, Binondo, Manila, Metro Manila (Transportation will be the responsibility of participating schools.)
* available with a discount through Pandayan Bookshop
- 12:01 (Russell Molina, Kajo Baldisimo)
- Ang Lihim ng San Esteban (Annette Flores, Nanoy Rafael)
- Anina ng mga Alon (Eugene Evasco)
- Displaced (Aneka Rodriguez)
- El Filibusterismo (Jose Rizal)
- Florante at Laura (Francisco Balagtas)
- Ibong Adarna
- Mga Tala sa Dagat (Annette Flores, Nanoy Rafael)
- Moving Onwards and Upwards (Hanako Amihan)
- Noli Me Tangere (Jose Rizal)
- Sixty Six (Russell Molina, Ian Sta. Maria)
- Una & Miguel (Lillideshan Bose)
- Woman in a Frame (Raissa Rivera Falgui)
- Philippine Folk Literature: Epics (Damiana Eugenio)
- Pambansang Alagad ng Sining sa Panitikan (NCCA)
To register, fill out the form found at bit.ly/patinikanreg. Inquiries may be coursed through Marvin via kaibigan[at]adarna.com.ph, +632 352 6765 local 120, +63 949 994 5618, or +63 917 563 0296.