The Manila International Book Fair is less than a month away! For those who have never been but are interested in books of any kind, regular MIBF visitors are sure to say that this event is not to be missed.
Held every September, MIBF is the most exciting week of the Philippine publishing industry. More than 100 local and international publishers and suppliers participate in MIBF every year, and the fair is even bigger this time, occupying two floors of the SMX Convention Center. (The second floor will be dedicated to books for children and young adults, and that’s where we’ll be this year.)
So gather your book-loving friends at this year’s fair, and mark your itinerary for the absolute top 5 things you must do at Manila International Book Fair 2017:
(5) Marvel at the publishers’ booth designs. At the MIBF every year, there is a contest for best booth design, so publishers bring out all their bells and whistles to make their booths eye-catching and stop-worthy. One publisher’s aesthetic is sure to be different from the next, so part of the MIBF experience is marveling at the various styles of the booths.
(4) Discover new books. If you want to find, and/or find out about, the new books the local publishing industry dished out this year, the MIBF is a great one-stop shop for these new reads. Apart from selling fresh-off-the-press books at big promotional discounts, local publishers usually hold mini-launches and promos for these new titles at the Fair.
(3) Meet book creators. In connection with number 4, book fairs are great opportunities to meet your favorite authors and illustrators! Publishers invite their new and best-selling book creators to visit the booths and sign books for the readers. Some people even go to all five days of the Fair, bringing their old books each day to have them signed by the authors and illustrators visiting the booths.
(2) Fill up with book bargains. All of the books are sold at huge discounts! Most exhibitors sell books up to 70% off their original price. Newly-launched titles will also surely be sold at introductory prices. At Adarna House, you will also find bargain book bundles which are perfect as gifts if you’re ready to get an early start on your Christmas shopping. We will be posting our MIBF sale price list within this week, so make sure to pay our Facebook page a visit.
(1) Support local literature. Let’s face it—the share of local books in our usual bookstore shelves is very small, which makes supporting Philippine literature a bit difficult. The great thing about MIBF is it gathers Philippine publishers in one venue, making it easy to see just what our book industry has been up to these past years. If your Filipiniana collection is in dire need of new additions, then the MIBF will do wonders for your bookshelf.
The 38th MIBF is happening from September 13 to 17 (Wednesday to Sunday), 10:00AM to 8:00 PM at the SMX Convention Center in the Mall of Asia Complex in Pasay City. (Remember: the children’s and young adult section is on the 2nd floor.) Tickets are sold for PHP20 at the venue, but if you wish to skip the lines, here are free printable MIBF tickets you can present at the gate. Make sure to bring your own shopping bags, as Pasay City is a no-plastic-bag zone. And if you’re planning to buy a lot of books, you can do as the regulars do, and bring rolling luggage or strollers—you won’t regret it!
10 responses to “Top 5 things to do at Manila International Book Fair 2017”
this book sale is so imporrant to us teachers…hope to have more book sale in the future…thank you adarna…
I love to read more adarna books
Pingback: Manila International Book Fair 2017 : Are you ready for the most awaited book fair in the Philippines? - My Teacher Mommy
Hi. Are those tickets for 2nd floor only? Thanks.
The tickets are for the whole of MIBF.
Thank you for the free tickets! Excited to see the Adarna booth!
Love this for my youngest son with autism in support of his learning development. Yet we are far away from the said event. If it possible ordering via email.
Am so excited. Sitting in a quiet corner, reading,is an all time high for me.
Love to inspire and give knowledge to my pupils. Thanks adarna . More power God bless…
Pingback: 15 Things You Need to Know Before Going to the 38th Manila International Book Fair (MIBF2017) – mommypatea