The month of July is dedicated to the promotion of children’s books. The National Children’s Book Day (NCBD) is celebrated every third Tuesday of this month. With this year’s theme, Bumasa at Lumaya, the Philippine Board on Books for Young People (PBBY) will be having a string of events to honor book creators and to promote reading among the young.
National Children’s Book Day
In partnership with the National Book Development Board (NBDB), the 3rd National Children’s Book Awards (NCBA) will be held at the Cultural Center of the Philippines on July 19. This highly-anticipated event recognizes the excellent works of children’s book writers, illustrators, and publishers. Another highlight of this day is the awarding of the 2016 PBBY-Salanga and PBBY-Alcala winners.
Book fair and Children’s Literature Talks
The Book Fair and Children’s Literature Talks will be held on July 23 at the Xavier School in San Juan. The fair shall feature local children’s book publishers. Aside from selling selected titles at a discounted rate, publishers will also hold simultaneous storytelling sessions. A special package of all winning NCBA titles, from 2010 to 2016, may also be purchased at the fair. The culmination of the NCBD celebration is the Children’s Literature Talks. The program will start with the book launch of Bumasa at Lumaya 2, A Sourcebook on Children’s Literature in the Philippines.
This whole-day event will also be a gathering of writers, illustrators, students, storytellers, teachers, librarians, and parents. For a registration fee of PHP800.00, participants may choose to attend among discussions on writing sensitive stories, body positivity on young adult fiction, the evolution of children’s book illustrations, raising multilingual readers, and more. Award-winning author, Augie Rivera (Alamat ng Ampalaya, Isang Harding Papel); illustrator, Liza Flores (Chenelyn! Chenelyn!); and reading advocate and educator, Victor Villanueva (Reading Association of the Philippines) are some of the industry experts who will be sharing their knowledge on children’s content and reading. Organizations such as The Learning Library and The Learning Basket will also share their expertise on multilingualism and homeschooling respectively.
For inquiries about the Book Fair and Children’s Literature Talks, you may e-mail ncbdph [at] gmail.com or call (02) 352-6765 loc 204.
Bumasa at Lumaya Children’s Literature Talks
Book Launch: Bumasa at Lumaya 2
Concurrent Sessions A
- A1: Stories We Dare to Tell (Panelists: Victor Villanueva and Augie Rivera, Reactor: Mailin Paterno Locsin,
Moderator: RayVi Sunico)
- A2: Raising Multilingual Readers (Speaker: The Learning Library, Moderator: Luis P. Gatmaitan, MD)
- A3: Children’s Book Illustration in the Philippines: 1990-2007 (Speaker: Liza Flores, Moderator: Karina Bolasco)
Concurrent Sessions B
- B1: THE BOOK AND THE EFFICIENT MIND: Ways of Reading and Thinking About Literature (Speaker: Victor Villanueva, Moderator: Dr. Nina Lim-Yuson)
- B2: THE WORD OF THE BODY: Talking About Body Positivity in Philippine YA Stories (Speaker: Gabriela Lee, Moderator: RayVi Sunico)
- B3: Discovering the Storyteller in You (Speaker: Rey Bufi, Moderator: Melanie Ramirez)
Concurrent Sessions C
- C1: AWAKEN THE FORCE: Innovative Library Services for Digital Natives (Speakers: Zarah Gagatiga and Darrel Marco, Moderator: Emily Abrera)
- C2: Promoting Children’s and Young Adult Books on Social Media (Speaker: Tarie Sabido, Moderator: RayVi Sunico)
- C3: Planning Your Literature-Based Preschool Homeschool (Speaker: The Learning Basket, Moderator: Dr. Nina Lim Yuson)