Lumalamig nang muli ang simoy ng hangin! Umiinit naman ang aming mithing maiparamdam sa inyo ang papalapit nang Pasko!
Kaya simula sa ika-15 ng Nobyembre (Biyernes) hanggang ika-20 ng Disyembre (Biyernes), makatatanggap ng malaking diskuwento ang mga bibisita sa aming showroom! Ang mga storybook namin ay magiging Php 55.00 na lang bawat isa mula sa Php 73.00.
Mabibili pa rin, siyempre, ang mga pang-aginaldong bayong ng mga libro:
Naglalaman ng libreng kahon ng pangkulay ang bayong na ito
ng 3 coloring book at Sanayang Adarna.
Sama-sama sa mas mababang presyo ang 6 na bagong kuwento
sa isang pulang bayong.
Kasama sa bayong na ito ang 5 kuwentong Pilandok, ang PilandoKomiks Isyu 1,
at isang Pilandok plushie.
Naglalaman ito ng lahat ng siyam (9) naming board book.
At mabibili pa rin ang kamiseta ni Kaloy, ang kuting ng Sanayang Adarna. Php 200.00 ang pambatang kamiseta, at Php 250.00 naman ang mas malalaking kamiseta.
Narito ang mapa ng aming showroom. Kita-kita tayo ngayong Pasko!
Win this Good Night Lala doll handmade by author Maya Calica! (Photo by jinggomontenejo.com)
- The photo contest is open to all Filipinos anywhere in the world, except for: Adarna House authors, illustrators, and storytellers; and relatives of Adarna House employees up to the 3rd degree of consanguinity.
- To enter, contestants must have a Facebook account and take a photo of a person with the book Good Night, Lala.
- Contestants will e-mail their photo to adarnahouse [at] adarna.com.ph, along with their name, e-mail address, mobile number, and a brief description of his/her good day with Good Night, Lala.
- Entries must be e-mailed during the promo period (October 28 to November 27, 2013). Entries received during the previous call for submissions (August 12 to September 4) are already included in this run and do not have to be re-entered.
- Two winners will be chosen randomly through a raffle, and 1 winner will be handpicked by author Maya Calica.
- The winners will be announced by November 29, 2013. Winners will also be informed via e-mail and SMS.
- Each of the 3 winners will receive a Good Night Lala doll handmade by the author of the book, a Pilandok plushie, the three newly-released board books (Masaya Ako!, Mga Hayop sa Filipinas, Pista Na!), 10 storybooks of their choice*, and selected Adarna House merchandise.
- Prizes MUST be claimed at the Adarna House showroom on the afternoon of December 7, when this year’s Christmas Treat for Readers is scheduled. (Details of which will be announced at a later date). Winners unable to claim their prizes personally may send representatives bearing an authorization letter and a photocopy of the winner’s ID.
- Adarna House reserves the right to cancel the contest if the contest period ends with less than 50 entries. Should this occur, each contestant will receive a free storybook for joining the promo. (Storybooks will still have to be claimed at the showroom on December 7.)
* Winners may choose any Php 73.00 storybook, except for those published in 2013.
A spread from Luis and the Enchanted Creatures (Marcy Dans Lee)
It is important that books for children address children’s experiences. This includes their fears. Children often fear the strange and unfamiliar—all the monsters and scary creatures that lurk in the dark, unknown.
Even adults are sometimes guilty of exploiting children’s active imaginations, with the hope of keeping them from potential harm. And though fear may make children more cautious about what they do, too much fear could keep children from trying and discovering new things.
So why not, instead of making fear functional, we celebrate fear as a completely normal human emotion? And what could be timelier than reading scary books for the upcoming Halloween?
One important reminder, though, in choosing scary books is that the book should do more than send chills down the reader’s spine. Scary books should not be feeding children’s fears, but should help children overcome or diminish the power of what scares them. Therefore, choose books that address their fears while entertaining or teaching them something new.
Here are some of our books that do that:
- Si Ching na Takot sa Dilim. This book tackles Ching’s fear of the dark. He believes that scary creatures come out of the darkness. The book not only recognizes children’s fear, it also suggests a way of conquering this fear by looking at things differently.
- Ang Tikbalang Kung Kabilugan ng Buwan. This story tells how a tikbalang tried to befriend other Philippine lower mythological creatures but fails to do so until he finds a tikbalang just like himself. Children’s fear of supernatural creatures is used in the story to show kids the importance of friendship.
- Luis and the Enchanted Creatures. The book changes a common perception that our lower mythological creatures are scary. Instead, it presents a funny and insightful depiction of these creatures while teaching kids not to judge anyone by their physical appearance.
- Bru-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha… Bru-hi-hi-hi-hi-hi. This story also tries to show that physical appearance does not mirror someone’s personality most especially with any old woman, as one character in the story shows.
- Ang Lihim ng San Esteban. This novel tours the readers around the old houses and ‘ghosts’ of San Esteban in Ilocos. The book shows that the stories of Filipinos during the Japanese occupation are just as exciting as any horror story.
On Saturday, October 26, please join us as we celebrate scary stories with a storytelling session and free treats for children who will come in costume to Multuhan sa Adarna!
Bilang pagdiriwang ng ika-150 kaarawan ni Andres Bonifacio, inaanyayahan kayong sumali ng Adarna House sa Patimpalak sa Makabagong Watawat ng Katipunan.
- Bukas ang patimpalak na ito para sa mga Filipinong mag-aaral, at mayroong dalawang kategorya: isa para sa Elementarya, at isa para sa Sekundarya.
- Upang lumahok, umisip ng disenyo ng watawat ng Katipunan na babagay sa kasalukuyang panahon. Hindi kailangang parihaba ang watawat — maaring iba ang maging hugis nito.
- May dalawang paraan ng paglikha at pagpapasa:
(A) Digital: Magpadala sa adarnahouse[at]adarna.com.ph ng JPEG file ng inyong likhang may 300dpi na resolution at may haba (width) na 2 talampakan.
(B) Likhang-kamay: Gawin sa 1/8 illustration board at ipadala sa Adarna House, 109 Scout Fernandez corner Scout Torillo Streets, Barangay Laging Handa, Quezon City. Maaari ring ipadala sa e-mail ang likhang-kamay, kung maipapa-scan ito nang 300 dpi ang resolution.
- Kailangang matanggap ang mga ipinasang disenyo sa o bago
mag-ika-22 ng Nobyembre, 2013 kasama ang mga sumusunod na detalye: pamagat ng disenyo, pangalan ng may likha, pangalan at address ng paaraalan, baitang at pangkat, tirahan, numero (landline at mobile).
- Magmumula sa Adarna House ang mga huradong pipili ng mananalo ayon sa:
50% – Pagkakasalamin sa diwa ng Katipunan
25% – Pagiging makabago at kapana-panahon
25% – Pagkamalikhain
- Makatatanggap ang 2 nagwagi (1 sa Elementarya, at 1 sa Sekundarya) ng limang libong piso (Php 5,000.00) at mga librong nagkakahalagang dalawang libo at limandaang piso (Php 2,500.00). Tatanggap rin ng mga librong nagkakahalagang limang libong piso (Php 5,000.00) ang mga eskuwelahan ng mga nagwagi.
- Binibigyan ng mga kalahok ng pahintulot ang Adarna House na gamitin ang mga disenyong ipapasa nila sa patimpalak para sa mga patalastas at programang may kinalaman sa patimpalak. Anumang ibang paggamit ng Adarna House ay kailangang ipagpaalam muna sa lumikha.
- Wala pang tiyak na plano para sa paggagawad na magaganap sa o bago mag-ika-30 ng Nobyembre, 2013. Para sa karagdagang impormasyon, makipag-alam sa Adarna House sa (02) 352-6765 loc. 119.
This week heralds the Guardians of Tradition Blog Tour! Guardians of Tradition (written by Mae Astrid Tobias, illustrated by Rommel Joson, with photos by Renato S. Rastrollo) is a fact book about the Philippines’ National Living Treasures, or the citizens who have been awarded the Gawad sa Manlilikha ng Bayan by the National Commission for Culture and the Arts.
Visit the following blogs this week to learn more about our Treasures, get the chance to win fabulous prizes, and find out more about the local online literature community!
Dia on Book Junkie Joint
Tina on One More Page
Freine on Freine Writes
Chris Mariano on Ficsation
Xi Zuq on Xi Zuq’s Nook
Mina V. Esguerra
Agay on Agay is a Girl
Sol on The Belle of a Boulevard
Monique on Bookish Little Me
Dia on Book Junkie Joint
Chris Mariano on Eskritoryo Pilipinas
Sol on The Belle of a Boulevard
Cassandra on The Moon Lost a Faerie
Louize on The Page Walker
Janice on The Roller Coaster Ride
Zarah on Love a Librarian
Persis on The Clumsy Diarist
Louize on The Page Walker
Ivy on Like a Tidal Wave
Inaanyayahan ang lahat ng magulang na dalhin ang kanilang mga tsikiting sa Adarna House para makipagmultuhan sa amin sa ika-26 ng Oktubre (Sabado)!
May 25% diskuwento sa lahat ng libro (maliban sa WiKAHON). Meron ding lootbag sa unang 25 batang naka-costume, at kung ang costume ay Pinoy na halimaw o tauhan, may libre ring storybook! Siyempre, may storytelling session nang 10:00 nang umaga.
Narito ang mapa ng aming showroom, at ang mga larawan ng multuhan noong isang taon!
To receive the Peter Pan Prize for the book Naku, Nakuu, Nakuuu!, author Nanoy Rafael and book character Isko (representing illustrator Sergio Bumatay III) flew to Sweden for the Gothenburg Book Fair. There, they met a lot of very nice people who also loved books, toured a wonderful city, and shared many things about our rich local children’s literature scene.
Here are some of the pictures from that trip (more will be uploaded on our Facebook page).